As professional movers, we have seen a lot of people come our way and have helped these people move to their new homes. However, what most people don’t realize is that we connect to these people, we learn their stories, often the reasons as to their moves, and sometimes, even their fears that they have of moving. One particular fear that seems to come up a lot when we move families is the new area in which they are moving to. This is even more prevalent in those who are moving from their families to a new area devoid of any connections.
With this being said, it is a hard time for everyone. Not only do they have stress from the move itself, but they are navigating a new city, a new way of life and the obstacle of finding likeminded individuals to connect with. That is why we have compiled a few tips to help make a long distance move a bit easier on you, especially if this is your first time moving away from what you have always known.
- Ensure that you are using apps like Skype or GroupMe to stay in touch with family and friends in your old city. Just because you move, does not mean that you have to cut ties with these people.
- Realize that you are in a new place, so don’t expect to make friends immediately, it will take time, but it will happen.
- Consider joining an online group that interests you that has its roots in your new city. This can be anything from a hobby or even a group that is looking to find people friends.
- Check out the local restaurants, many people find their new group of friends at a local hangout.
- When you start to feel down, list all of the things that you love about your new home and location. This can help you to put into perspective why you moved here in the first place!
For those who are looking to move to Richmond or surrounding areas, but sure to give Excel a call. We can help move your belongings into a new home, and many of our movers can recommend a great local hangout to get you started on your new life.
While you may be opting to use a professional mover for the actual moving aspects of your home, chances are when it comes to packing, organizing and sorting your belongings, there are several friends and family members who are helping to make this happen. For those who do have these friends who are helping, it is important that you show your appreciation. After all, packing and organizing your belongings in your home for a move is hard work, and it can be a long job depending on the size of your home. So don’t let your friends feel as though they are not appreciated. We have come up with a few ideas to help repay those who have helped with all the steps before moving into a new home!
- While packing, be sure that you are supplying drinks, snacks and food for all those who are helping. After all, they are taking the time out of their busy schedules to do this, the least you can do is to ensure that they are not paying for these items out of their own pockets.
- Make sure that you are taking a few breaks while packing, as this is going to help to not only keep everyone from getting overly exhausted, but can be a great way to boost morale among your friends. Use this time to talk about all the good times that you have had, and the excitement about this new move.
- After you have moved, thanks your friends with a party at your new home. Do not let them bring items to eat or the like, simply throw this as a housewarming party and a thank you party for your friends. With this being said, you may want to consider a small gift of your appreciation for each person who helped.
For those who are using Excel Moving, they will find that the moving process will go smoothly. And if you plan in advance to have your things packed and ready to go, the entire process can take even less time than what you had thought!
When you are packing your things for a move, chances are you are focused on the actual items in your home that need to be moved. You are not alone in thinking like this. After all, we are concerned about getting our furniture moved, our knick-knacks packed and insulated, those everyday items in your home, and getting the pets and kids settled into a new home. Due to the number of things that you may be focused on, there is a huge chance you are forgetting some very important items to do before you move. And for those who are moving a long distance, it could mean a trip back to your previous home if you were to forget these items.
- Does your current bank have a branch in the area that you are moving to? If not, then you need to take the time to go to the bank and explain that you will be switching institutions and get this process started so you do not find yourself stranded in your new location with no access to your money!
- Move your medical prescriptions to a new local pharmacy. You may have to sign release forms for these prescriptions to be transferred to a new pharmacy, which you need to do now.
- Do you go to a gym? If the gym does not have a local location in your new area, then cancel this membership now. You are more than likely not going to drive to your old location in order to go to the gym.
- If you have children, be sure that you pick up copies of their school records so that you can be ready for their new year in a new school at a new home.
Too many times when people move, they are so absorbed in the moving process, it is these little things that they forget. And when they forget these, it can slow down the unpacking phase, and getting accustomed to your new location. Don’t forget to let Excel Moving help with your move to make this even easier on you!
One of the main obstacles that faces a person when they are looking to move, is if this is the time to move or not? There are several factors that play into whether or not now is the time to move. For one, consider if you have a home to move into, whether you buy or rent. This is most important. Most people know where they want to move, they just want to know if this is the best time for them to move or not. While, this is a personal decision to make, we do have some tips that can point you into making the right decision!
- Can you afford a move right now? Take into consideration the costs of boxes and packing supplies, paying your movers and the like. Moving is not a cheap ordeal at all, but here at Excel Moving we can ensure that you are getting a great price for your move.
- Do you have any important dates coming up? You do not want to schedule a move during a time frame that you may need to be out of town for business, an important birthday or anniversary, or the like.
- Have you prepared everyone in your family for the move? For those who have kids, they will want to approach this move with caution and ensure that the kids are ready.
- Are you tired of where you are located at? This is going to be one of the key aspects to look at. If you are tired of living in your current area, then moving is the only option that you truly have.
In the end, moving is not something that you should take lightly. It is an expensive endeavor, and you will want to ensure that the move is one that is going to benefit you more in the long run. Therefore, consider why you are moving, the time frame and then call us to help with your move!
For those who are preparing for a move, what can you do on your end to make this move easier? That is the question that many people ask. After all, moving can be difficult. Once you have scheduled your move with us here at Excel Moving, you can rest assure that you have already taken a major step in making your move easier. Aside from using our services, there are a few other things that you can do to make your next move easier.
- Don’t save packing for until the last minute. If you do, you are going to find that it can be even harder in the long run.
- Ensure that all your boxes are labeled correctly to make unpacking easier.
- Be sure that you take some time to decompress after you move. You can avoid a lot of stress from moving if you simply take some time to relax. If you have designated a box for your first day in a new home, then you can decompress for at least one day before unpacking.
- Get assistance when you need it. Don’t get at this alone. If you need help unpacking, then hire professionals to make this happen!
- Take a few hours before moving to transfer your address on insurance, mail and the like. This way you are completely covered in your new home.
- If your move has come as a surprise, realize that there are going to be a few times in which you may miss your old home. This is normal. But, be sure that you are taking the time to deal with these feelings so that you can be fully on board with your new home!
In the end, moving does not have to be the stressful situation that you imagine it to be. For many, once they use these tips, you are going to find that the move becomes something that is just another activity in your life that you need to do!
After your move, chances are you are excited and nervous about your new neighborhood. For those who are moving with more than just themselves, this time can also be hectic and downright stressful. It is not surprising that many people forget those small things when they move. However, it is these small things that can make your move just a little easier on everyone. With this being said, we have outlined some of those little things that you may forget, to help remind you to get these in order once the boxes have been dropped off and you are unpacking!
- Always notify your insurance companies of your new address and the fact that you moved. You never know, with your auto insurance this could mean your premium lowers slightly, especially if you moved into an area that is not as high traffic!
- Make sure that your bank knows your new address, and this also includes your credit card companies as well.
- Order new checks, if you use them, with your updated address on these. If your address on your check is not updated, don’t be surprised if they are not accepted everywhere.
- Order a lot online? Then be sure to check and ensure that your saved addresses have changed. After all, you don’t want your new package going to your old home!
- Be sure that you update your license, and this is usually something that you are required to do within the first 30 days of moving to a new location. Otherwise, if you were to get pulled over, you could get fined for this.
- If you have medication prescriptions, then be sure to get these transferred to your local pharmacy so it will be easier to pick these up.
- Change your address on those magazines and other items you receive monthly in the mail. Luckily, these items usually have a small postcard to fill out inside of them for this reason.
When you are having to remember where everything is at, change utilities and the like, it is easy to forget some of these smaller things that are not impacting your move right now. However, with this list, hopefully you can get your move into a new home off to the right start. And remember, having professionals like Excel Moving handle your move, can give you more time to focus on those little things!
When moving, it is a hectic time. There are tons of things that you are trying to do, such as find a new place, say goodbye to those who you may be leaving behind, pack your belongings, organize the shipping of your items and the like. There is no wonder that many people feel overwhelmed when moving time does come around. One of the biggest complaints that people have when they move is that they did not get the time that they had hoped to say goodbye to loved ones and friends in the area. The good news is that there is a unique way to combine moving and a goodbye party all in one: packing parties.
What is a Packing Party?
Basically, a packing party is a way to have your cake and eat it too. How many people who have moved in the past feel as though they have to choose between spending time with friends who they may be leaving behind and getting prepared for their move? A packing party is the answer to this. This is a party that you throw in honor of moving. Everyone will come to your home and help you pack up your belongings. It is a huge help, as it makes the packing process go much faster, and it can be tons of fun since you are spending time with friends, remembering the good times and planning your future.
Tips for a Perfect Packing Party
For those who are going to throw a packing party, here are some tips to ensure that this is going to be a huge help to your moving adventure and is also going to be tons of fun for you!
- Order in food to ensure that you do not have to cook and these utensils can be packed.
- Use paper plates and cups, along with plastic silverware so that you can pack these items up as well.
- Ensure that you have tons of boxes, tape, markers, and other packing materials since you are going to have everyone working on this at the same time.
- Make a day of this and at night, you can all go out if you so choose to celebrate one more night together.
- Have this packing party close to your moving day, a couple of days beforehand is often recommended.
- Have some music playing in the background, as work that is tedious and often boring goes better when there is music involved.
- Avoid inviting too many people as this can make the packing take even longer than normal.
Moving does not have to be a solitary event. Having a packing party with your friends, and then once packed, call us here at Excel Moving to get your items to their new location safe and sound.
We have spent a lot of time discussing what to pack and how to pack this. But, there are a few things that you are going to want to ensure that you are not packing. It seems simple enough to throw everything into a box and sort through it later. However, when you are having a moving company deal with your belongings, there are a few papers that you are not going to want to pack. To do so, could mean that your move turns into an even more stressful event that causes a headache and delays. In addition, there are a few personal items that you should not pack, and instead keep this on you at all times.
Your Moving Papers
The moving papers that you get from a company like Excel is going to detail the contract between you and the moving company. This contract is your lifeline when it comes to the company moving you. The information that is detailed in the contract includes the boxes being moved, the prices, the destination time frame of receiving your items and the like. You will also receive paperwork that tells you what to do if something goes wrong, such as if something were to get broken, which is not likely when using Excel for your moving needs.
Always Keep your Medications
Always keep your medications on you. There have been cases in which moving deliveries happen a few days after the initial pack up and loading into the truck. Thus, you do not want to be a few days without those medications that may be helping your life. Too many times, people throw their medications into a box with their bathroom items and then realize when it is too late that they packed up something very important.
Many people would argue that you should keep family pictures and momentous with you instead of letting a company move these. However, here at Excel we treat your belongings just as we would our own. Thus, family pictures, art work, and those with priceless items can be moved safely by our company with no worries.
Any more, whether this is large or small, is going to have its own level of stress associated with it. However, one of the key components of getting through any move is to ensure that you are preparing for your move in the proper method. That is why we have created a checklist of items that you are going to want to have on hand, along with things you need to know, before your move.
- Have enough packing supplies on hand
These packing supplies will include:
- Cardboard boxes of numerous sizes
- Bubble wrap
- Packing peanuts
- Fresh newspaper
- Plastic wrap
- Packing tape
- Box cutter
- Permanent markers for labeling
- Start packing in a logical manner
Be sure that you are packing in a logical manner so that the packing will go smoother. Consider these tips:
- Pack those offseason things first
- Then go to the storage items you may need to pack
- Rooms that are not in use
- As time gets closer, start packing those everyday items that you can do without until everything is packed
- Lists are helpful
It is helpful to have lists of things that you need to do before the move. For example, make a list of who to contact before your big move, of other things to do such as change of address, and whatever other items you need to do. These lists can make your move that much more organized.
Remember, the more prepared you are for your move, you are going to find that it goes smoother. Every checklist out there is going to be different, as the list is going to contain different items that are of importance to that person. In the end, moving is difficult. But, if you use a professional mover like Excel Moving you will find that your move will be that much easier!
For those who are in the military, they may not have as much notice as a normal person when it comes to moving. Therefore, they are in a unique situation. The good news is that we have several tips that can help a military family to make this move easier!
One of the biggest issues with military moves are that you may know you need to make the move in a month from now, or it may just be a few days. This all really depends on where the military member is going and how soon they are needed. For some people, this move could be to a military base that is only a few hundred miles away, while others may find their move to be on the other side of the United States. Here are a few tips that can make the stress a bit easier to handle:
- Every time you move, try to keep it simple with what you are moving. Having too many items when you are moving like this can make for an even more hectic move! Due to military moves being often, this is a great time to ensure that you are not keeping a lot of items you no longer need or want.
- Label everything with your name and the like so that the belongings are going to get back to you. This is especially important if you opt to let a company move you, while they may be moving a few other military families as well.
- Keep an inventory list. One of the most common complaints military members have is that they do not get all of their items once they are moved. If you have an inventory list of what you have packed, you will have a higher success rate of getting all of your items.
- If you have children, be sure that you are preparing them as best as you can for this move. It can be hard on children having to move frequently, as they often do in the military. But, the more prepared you make them, the more they will learn how to handle this.
For those who are ready to move and need assistance, Excel Moving is here for your needs. Whether you are civilian, or military, we can help make your move easier!