Looking to move soon? One of the common questions that we get asked daily is what can you take with you and what we can move for you. What most people don’t realize is that there are those things that we cannot move for you. There are numerous reasons why, but it all boils down to safety. There are many things that we will not move for the safety of our workers. In addition, there are laws related to what we can and cannot move for our clients.
For those who are interested, here are a few things that we cannot move for you:
- Anything that is considered hazardous such as acids, ammonia, lamp oil, kerosene, weed killer, poisons, paints, motor oil, matches, fireworks, charcoal, fertilizer and the like.
- Perishable items are not allowed in moving trucks. Why is this? Rotten food not only stinks up the truck hauling items, but it can also attract rodents which could damage property we are moving.
- Personal or items that are sentimental are usually frowned upon by movers. We do this simply because we do not want to be held responsible for these items going missing since you cannot put a real price on these. For example, we recommend you keep medical records, car titles, school records and the like with you. These are items that are hard to replace, which is why they should be left with you.
The things that we move and will not move are for the safety of everyone involved. We understand that it can be frustrating knowing that some items we are not going to touch or move. However, even if you were moving on your own, these are items that you would not want to move either, as it poses the same safety issues to you as it does our professionals. Remember, we are here to help with your move, and we look forward to doing this. But in the end, we want everyone, including our workers to be safe!
There is no doubt about it, we are professionals when it comes to moving people. However, we also have expertise in packing and getting you prepared for your move. With we often hear about those who are packing their belongings, who end up going out to buy things time and time again, as they have forgotten that they need these. It can make the packing process even longer. That is why we have compiled a list of what you need to get before packing and moving, so you are prepared for whatever may come your way!
- A first aid kit: Cardboard cuts can hurt, and they often happen, especially if you are packing and taping up boxes in a hurry!
- Extra tape: Let’s face it, one roll of tape is not going to tape all your boxes. Keep in mind that you may need to tape the bottom and top to keep it reinforced during the move.
- Extra markers: Yes, you may have purchased a multi-pack with three markers in it, but get another one. You can almost guarantee that you will lose a few and run these markers out.
- Packing materials: Be sure to grab extra bubble wrap, towels, newspaper or the like, whatever you are using to warp materials in. You do not want to get to the point that you are simply putting things into a box and hoping for the best.
- Always have extra boxes. You never know when you have underestimated, and this can save you a great amount of time in searching for more boxes later.
One of the biggest things we see people overlook is the extent of the job itself of packing and getting ready for a move. So many people think that they can pack up their belongings within one day. While professionals can do this, most people are going to find that it is super hard to do this in just one day. So, don’t wait too long to start your moving journey!
When we move, we often focus on the logistics of this move. We worry about the moving company arriving on time, about your belongings getting to your new home and the process of doing all of this in a very small amount of time. It can be nerve racking. But, did you know that part of the reason that you may feel stress is due to the emotional issues that often arise when you move? Most people do not realize that moving can be such an emotional experience, but it is most definitely one of the more emotional events of your life, especially if you have lived at your location for several years and have experienced several life events in this area. With this being said, here are a few tips to deal with the emotions that may arise when you move!
- Be ready to shed a few tears if you are someone who cries when they are emotional. There is no shame in this at all!
- Take some time to say goodbye to the home that you have known, this is especially important if you have grown up in this home as a family or the like.
- Consider a small going away party at your home for everyone to say their goodbyes.
- Talk to small children about why you are moving and when you are moving to prepare them for this change.
- Be sure that as part of the emotional process you visit your new area, and introduce yourself to what your new area has to offer you.
Moving is an emotional process, but it does not have to be an event that you remember with dissatisfaction and stress. Utilizing a moving company can help lower the stress of the move, and if you take our advice for dealing with the emotions, your move can be a very positive experience.
For those who are moving into or around the Charleston, South Carolina area, finding a mover is not a hassle, but finding the right mover is the key to this whole plan. For those who choose to go with Excel Moving, they are going to find that their Charleston move is much easier and less hectic. And in the end, a peaceful move is just what you need to ensure that you start this new journey in your life on the right foot!
So how are we going to help you? When you first call our office, we partner you with one of our counselors. The counselor is going to go through the various things that you know, such as the dates for when you are moving, the amount of rooms in your home, whether you have bigger items, like pianos, that will require extra people to move and special attention. The counselor will then point out some of the extra items that you may not be thinking about that could make your move even easier. For example, have you ever thought about our full-service packing service? Have our professionals come into your home and pack your belongings for you, it can make moving seem super effortless, and it could even be an experience that you remember with fondness later.
Other services that our counselor will identify as options for you will be:
- The option for custom crating of those objects that are rather large or bulky in size
- Various packing materials that we have in which you can purchase if you are packing yourself
- Appliance disassembly and reassembly in situations in which you may need this
- Moving insurance on those items that you are having moved
It is these extras that make Excel Moving the option for those who are moving into or around Charleston. If you are ready to get your move started, don’t hesitate to contact us.
For those businesses in North and South Carolina, when it is time to relocate, remember that you are going to want professionals on your side to help with this task. Why is this? For one, professionals like Excel, have done this type of move dozens of times. Meaning that we know the inside tricks to make this run more smoothly and to ultimately help you save as much time as possible. Secondly, when you use a professional mover, you are going to find that this is less stress on you. You already are dealing with the other aspects of relocation such as getting the word out to the consumer market and hoping to avoid having a huge gap between being open for business and moving.
With all this stress, we are here for you, and we want to lend our expertise. We also want to provide you with a few tips to help making this relocation a bit easier on you:
- Get your employees involved in the process of relocating. For example, have them clear out their desks of personal affects so that the movers do not have to worry about these, and perhaps have these employees help with getting things ready to load onto the truck for the move.
- Be sure that you are advertising your move, especially if you provide consumer goods on the market, as you want consumers to know that you are moving and that you are going to be open for business.
- Take the time now to plan your gran re-opening in your new location. You want to ensure that this is a big event to put your business on the map with a splash.
- Consider your inventory before the move. Will it make more sense to discount this inventory to sell now versus moving it to the new location? This is something that each business owner must look at, as it is going to be different for each business.
In the end, while this can be a stressful time, our expertise can make this much easier for you!
For those who are ready to move, there are several things that you need to learn before the big moving date. And one of the most important issues to look at, is the mistakes that have been made by others, so that you can learn from their mistakes. The more that you know about what can go wrong, the better you can prepare for these issues. In the end, it can result in a much easier and safer move!
- You try to move on your own without any help from professionals. When this is the case, you are going to find that moving is much harder than the movies make it look. That is why you should always consider a professional mover like Excel Moving. In the end, the cost averages are about the same, and you can avoid a lot of stress.
- You avoid getting moving insurance. We cannot stress this mistake enough. Moving insurance is meant to protect you if something was to happen. While we hope, nothing happens, there are always those little, unforeseen accidents.
- You did not take the time to de-clutter your home before you moved. Why is this important? Why pay us to move items that you are never going to use again? It can save you money and space in the long run.
- You avoided packing a survival kit for moving. With this, we are referring to a couple changes of clothing, medications and those little things that you may need while your items are being delivered to your new location.
- Once your belongings are delivered, you simply tell the movers where to put the boxes and never double check what was delivered. We always encourage our customers to double check those boxes that are delivered. This way, you are going to ensure that you are getting your items.
You do not want to be one of those who are making mistakes, rather than learning from the mistakes that are made by others. Take your time with moving and do your research so that you are fully prepared for whatever comes your way.
As professional movers, we have seen a lot of people come our way and have helped these people move to their new homes. However, what most people don’t realize is that we connect to these people, we learn their stories, often the reasons as to their moves, and sometimes, even their fears that they have of moving. One particular fear that seems to come up a lot when we move families is the new area in which they are moving to. This is even more prevalent in those who are moving from their families to a new area devoid of any connections.
With this being said, it is a hard time for everyone. Not only do they have stress from the move itself, but they are navigating a new city, a new way of life and the obstacle of finding likeminded individuals to connect with. That is why we have compiled a few tips to help make a long distance move a bit easier on you, especially if this is your first time moving away from what you have always known.
- Ensure that you are using apps like Skype or GroupMe to stay in touch with family and friends in your old city. Just because you move, does not mean that you have to cut ties with these people.
- Realize that you are in a new place, so don’t expect to make friends immediately, it will take time, but it will happen.
- Consider joining an online group that interests you that has its roots in your new city. This can be anything from a hobby or even a group that is looking to find people friends.
- Check out the local restaurants, many people find their new group of friends at a local hangout.
- When you start to feel down, list all of the things that you love about your new home and location. This can help you to put into perspective why you moved here in the first place!
For those who are looking to move to Richmond or surrounding areas, but sure to give Excel a call. We can help move your belongings into a new home, and many of our movers can recommend a great local hangout to get you started on your new life.
While you may be opting to use a professional mover for the actual moving aspects of your home, chances are when it comes to packing, organizing and sorting your belongings, there are several friends and family members who are helping to make this happen. For those who do have these friends who are helping, it is important that you show your appreciation. After all, packing and organizing your belongings in your home for a move is hard work, and it can be a long job depending on the size of your home. So don’t let your friends feel as though they are not appreciated. We have come up with a few ideas to help repay those who have helped with all the steps before moving into a new home!
- While packing, be sure that you are supplying drinks, snacks and food for all those who are helping. After all, they are taking the time out of their busy schedules to do this, the least you can do is to ensure that they are not paying for these items out of their own pockets.
- Make sure that you are taking a few breaks while packing, as this is going to help to not only keep everyone from getting overly exhausted, but can be a great way to boost morale among your friends. Use this time to talk about all the good times that you have had, and the excitement about this new move.
- After you have moved, thanks your friends with a party at your new home. Do not let them bring items to eat or the like, simply throw this as a housewarming party and a thank you party for your friends. With this being said, you may want to consider a small gift of your appreciation for each person who helped.
For those who are using Excel Moving, they will find that the moving process will go smoothly. And if you plan in advance to have your things packed and ready to go, the entire process can take even less time than what you had thought!
When you are packing your things for a move, chances are you are focused on the actual items in your home that need to be moved. You are not alone in thinking like this. After all, we are concerned about getting our furniture moved, our knick-knacks packed and insulated, those everyday items in your home, and getting the pets and kids settled into a new home. Due to the number of things that you may be focused on, there is a huge chance you are forgetting some very important items to do before you move. And for those who are moving a long distance, it could mean a trip back to your previous home if you were to forget these items.
- Does your current bank have a branch in the area that you are moving to? If not, then you need to take the time to go to the bank and explain that you will be switching institutions and get this process started so you do not find yourself stranded in your new location with no access to your money!
- Move your medical prescriptions to a new local pharmacy. You may have to sign release forms for these prescriptions to be transferred to a new pharmacy, which you need to do now.
- Do you go to a gym? If the gym does not have a local location in your new area, then cancel this membership now. You are more than likely not going to drive to your old location in order to go to the gym.
- If you have children, be sure that you pick up copies of their school records so that you can be ready for their new year in a new school at a new home.
Too many times when people move, they are so absorbed in the moving process, it is these little things that they forget. And when they forget these, it can slow down the unpacking phase, and getting accustomed to your new location. Don’t forget to let Excel Moving help with your move to make this even easier on you!
One of the main obstacles that faces a person when they are looking to move, is if this is the time to move or not? There are several factors that play into whether or not now is the time to move. For one, consider if you have a home to move into, whether you buy or rent. This is most important. Most people know where they want to move, they just want to know if this is the best time for them to move or not. While, this is a personal decision to make, we do have some tips that can point you into making the right decision!
- Can you afford a move right now? Take into consideration the costs of boxes and packing supplies, paying your movers and the like. Moving is not a cheap ordeal at all, but here at Excel Moving we can ensure that you are getting a great price for your move.
- Do you have any important dates coming up? You do not want to schedule a move during a time frame that you may need to be out of town for business, an important birthday or anniversary, or the like.
- Have you prepared everyone in your family for the move? For those who have kids, they will want to approach this move with caution and ensure that the kids are ready.
- Are you tired of where you are located at? This is going to be one of the key aspects to look at. If you are tired of living in your current area, then moving is the only option that you truly have.
In the end, moving is not something that you should take lightly. It is an expensive endeavor, and you will want to ensure that the move is one that is going to benefit you more in the long run. Therefore, consider why you are moving, the time frame and then call us to help with your move!