Moving on its own, is a huge task. But, for many busy moms, they are left to be the ones to handle this entire move, as well as the rest of the house. Trust us, when watching a mom in action as she packs up another box, and then finds a sippy cup for the youngest child in the house, it will make you appreciate your own mother more! With this being said, we have compiled a few tips for moms who are trying to pack and move their family, while also ensuring that the house runs smoothly!
- Know when you need a break! This is important as moms tend to think that they can do it all, without catching but a few hours of sleep. This is not helping you, and it may be slowing you down! Instead, take some time with the kids, read a book, or just take some time for yourself…after the kids are asleep of course.
- The kitchen should be the last room you pack, as you don’t want to hunt through boxes for one kids favorite cup, the other kids favorite plate to eat pizza off and the like.
- Realize that while packing, you may not be able to fix those delicious meals each night, and that is okay. You are not Superman and no one expects you to keep up with everything else that is going on. Instead opt for a pizza and a salad delivered to save you some time.
- If you work outside of the home, or even from home, you may want to consider taking a few days off to just devote to packing up your house. It can make things much easier when you do not have too many irons in the fire.
- Have family nearby? Ask if they could watch the kids for a few hours each day to allow you some time alone to pack. It is amazing what you can get done when not having to stop every few minutes to stop kids from fighting, to get them the snack that they are wanting and the like.
- Always leave some toys unpacked for your kids, as they are going to be wanting their favorites. Sit them down and explain what is happening and how many toys they can keep out. It not only gives them a say so in what is going on, but it gives them a job to focus on so you can get some more packing done!
Moving and being a busy mom is hard, but you can do it. Take a week or so before the move date to start, and work at your own speed. Don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it!