When we think of being saddened due to a move, we often think of kids. However, adults can be saddened by a move just as much. The difference is that while kids may throw a few fits, act as though their parents are ruining their lives and be a little stubborn about the move, adults realize that this move means a better opportunity for them and they still do it. The result is that a person may feel out of place, they may miss their friends, and they can even think that they will never have those close relationships that they once had in their new area. The key is learning how to deal with the blues after moving, and we have a few tips!
- Just because you move, this doesn’t mean that you cannot stay in touch with those that are left behind. The invention of cell phones, tablets and computers has made it to where you never should lose touch with any old friends. So, use it! This can help you from feeling too alone in your new area.
- Remind yourself why you moved. This is important. You may even want to write this down. Many times, after a person moves and they are in a new place, they begin to think that they made the worse mistake ever. However, through knowing why you moved and repeating this reasoning to yourself, it will help.
- Get out there! If you moved to this new area for work, be sure that you are putting yourself out there. If the entire staff goes to get drinks every Friday night, then join them. It doesn’t mean that you must drink, it just gets you out there to meet new people.
- Try to see more of your new area every day! Make it a goal to see something in this area that is worthwhile every day. It can be nothing bigger than a great store that people brag about or a park that allows dogs to roam. Find something new about this area until you feel as though you are at home!
- Let yourself be open to new things! This cannot be overstated enough. One of the main reasons that so many people have issues when they move into a new area, is that they are holding onto where they used to live and the life they had there. Instead of feeling blue about this move, look at this as a new adventure!
For those who are gearing up for a move, be sure to call the professionals. Here at Excel Moving we can handle those heavy pieces of furniture as well as those unique items. We get you to your new location with less hassle and stress on you!