The move is behind you! The moving company has dropped all your items, you are officially moved into your new home. However, do you feel at home? More than likely not. After all, there are boxes still sitting around, furniture has not been arranged to your exact specifications yet, and you still haven’t had the chance to make this new house or apartment really feel like you. We have 10 ways that you can easily make your new place feel like home, while also helping you to get everything unpacked and into its new location.
- Start unloading those boxes! The more boxes you get out of the house, the bigger this is going to feel and the more at home you are going to feel.
- Turn up the music! Don’t just be silent while unpacking, have some fun with this!
- All the big items need to be unpacked first. This will give you a great idea of how you are going to layout your new home.
- Make the bed with sheets so that it is ready to go at night!
- Put up a shower curtain, lay out some towels and get all your bathroom products onto the shelves. Having the bathroom ready to use is going to alleviate a lot of stress!
- Open the windows so that natural light is coming through the home, this is going to help you not only see what you are working with but lets you get used to the feel of your new home.
- Unpack those things that remind you of home first, especially if you moved into the area from another state or the like.
- Be sure to take a minute and do a security check throughout the home. Make sure that windows and doors all lock, so you have peace of mind at night.
- Even if you don’t get to all those boxes today, take a few minutes and relax. Take a beverage and look out the window of your new home, or just chill and listen to a few songs.
Moving into a new area is not going to feel like home overnight. However, with these tips, you can make it feel like home sooner! And remember, Excel Moving and Storage is here for all your moving needs!
For parents, one of the most difficult tasks while moving is what to do with the kids. You want to keep them entertained while you are packing and you want to keep them safe while you are moving the items out of your home. So, what do you do? We have a few tips that can help you!
Before Packing Tips
Now that you are ready to move, before you pack, you need to get your kids ready for this. Here are a few tips to follow:
- Let the kids know asap that you are going to be moving. This can help them to prepare themselves mentally.
- Start packing up your kids clothing, toys and the like in advance of moving. Kids may hold onto these items. But, if you start earlier then you will find that you can get rid of these non-essential items that your kids do not need.
During the Move Tips
While you are moving, you are going to be busy. You will want to keep your kids as busy as possible! Here are a few tips that can help:
- Ask them if they want to help! If they are old enough let them help with that last-minute packing crisis, write labels on boxes or the like.
- Give younger kids something that is going to keep them entertained. Have coloring book and new crayons out there for your kids to color with. Or even let them have some left-over bubble wrap, kids love popping this!
The key with anymore is to ensure that the kids are safe and taken care of. While they may not be looking forward to the move, as long as they are safe, you are going to find that the move will be a success. And remember, if you need to use professionals call us here at Excel Moving & Storage!
When you do decide to move, your own safety should be a top concern that you have. However, the reality is that most of us are in a hurry to get things packed, to get to your new home and are dealing with all the information that is needed to switch schools for kids, turn on utilities and the like. For this reason, your own safety is not usually what you have in mind.
There are several safety worries that a person should be worried about when it comes time to move. These concerns include:
- Injuries from packing too many items into one box
- Injuries from falling due to carrying a large and unruly object
- Breaking items, a big worry for those who have items that are family heirlooms
There are tons of other situations that we could highlight in which the safety of the person moving was in question. However, it is sufficient to say, safety rules are often ignored when you are moving as your mind is elsewhere.
Tips for Your Safety
Here are a few tips to help ensure that you are safe while in the process of moving:
- Be sure to pack your boxes right. Limit these boxes to 50 pounds apiece, as this is the maximum weight. You can go even lighter to ensure that you do not overdo your back!
- Stretch just like you are going to work out if you are going to be moving these boxes on your own. This can help to avoid some muscle strains.
- Be sure you are lifting heavy items as you should. Life with your legs, not your back!
- Always have an emergency kit on standby, you never know when you are going to need a band-aid or some over the counter pain killers.
- Be sure to limit the number of kids and pets around. Kids and pets can get hurt or they can cause you to become injured if they get in your way!
The best way to stay safe while moving is to hire professional movers. The movers with Excel Moving are trained on how to lift heavy and light objects to ensure they are safe. Through hiring professionals, you will find that your body will thank you later!
When we think of being saddened due to a move, we often think of kids. However, adults can be saddened by a move just as much. The difference is that while kids may throw a few fits, act as though their parents are ruining their lives and be a little stubborn about the move, adults realize that this move means a better opportunity for them and they still do it. The result is that a person may feel out of place, they may miss their friends, and they can even think that they will never have those close relationships that they once had in their new area. The key is learning how to deal with the blues after moving, and we have a few tips!
- Just because you move, this doesn’t mean that you cannot stay in touch with those that are left behind. The invention of cell phones, tablets and computers has made it to where you never should lose touch with any old friends. So, use it! This can help you from feeling too alone in your new area.
- Remind yourself why you moved. This is important. You may even want to write this down. Many times, after a person moves and they are in a new place, they begin to think that they made the worse mistake ever. However, through knowing why you moved and repeating this reasoning to yourself, it will help.
- Get out there! If you moved to this new area for work, be sure that you are putting yourself out there. If the entire staff goes to get drinks every Friday night, then join them. It doesn’t mean that you must drink, it just gets you out there to meet new people.
- Try to see more of your new area every day! Make it a goal to see something in this area that is worthwhile every day. It can be nothing bigger than a great store that people brag about or a park that allows dogs to roam. Find something new about this area until you feel as though you are at home!
- Let yourself be open to new things! This cannot be overstated enough. One of the main reasons that so many people have issues when they move into a new area, is that they are holding onto where they used to live and the life they had there. Instead of feeling blue about this move, look at this as a new adventure!
For those who are gearing up for a move, be sure to call the professionals. Here at Excel Moving we can handle those heavy pieces of furniture as well as those unique items. We get you to your new location with less hassle and stress on you!
If you don’t think that you need professional movers, think again. There are several items in your home that are more difficult to move than what most people realize! The problem arises when they think that they can do this on their own. When this is the case it may result in the item being left behind, the item becoming broken or in the worst-case scenario, you become injured trying to move something that is meant to be moved by professionals. So, what are those items that are hard to move? We have the top two items that are usually harder to move than most people realize!
Plants: Small in Size, But Fragile to Move
Did you know that plants are hard to move? Most people don’t really think about. However, plants are very susceptible to the changing temperature, which is why these are on the list of hardest things to move. While you can move them, it will take a bit more preparation. For example:
- Transfer these to lighter pots a few weeks before the move to ensure they are not too heavy to lift
- Arrange to have these transported in your personal vehicle
- Monitor the temperature in your personal vehicle and ensure the plant is not shifted in a way that will break or damage it in any way
Pianos: Best Left to Professional Movers
Pianos are something that no one wants to move! They are heavy and so fragile for something that has so much weight behind it! Many people tend to leave behind their pianos, especially if they are older. However, if you love your piano, then your only option is to have a professional help with this. What will the professional do? This really spends on the piano and the size. However, some of the things that have been done in the past include:
- Removing the legs and lid to make moving easier in pieces
- Wrap the entire piano in pads and plastic wrap to ensure no scratches happen
- Utilize 4 to 5 people to easily move this from one location to the next
While plants and pianos are not the only difficult thing to move, they are often something that do require a little prior planning. For those who have these items in their home, talk with us before your move to see how we can help!
Are you ready for a move? This is a question that many people ask themselves. You may have every reason in the world to leave your current location, but you are still going to be facing a difficult road ahead. You will find that you are leaving the warmth and comfort of an area that you have known for several years and may feel comfortable in for something that is more unknown. Therefore, there are several questions that you should ask yourself to determine if a move soon is really the best option for you or not. The good news for you, we have compiled several of these questions to help you!
Questions About the New Area
One of the first questions to consider is all about the new area. For example:
- What is the cost of living in this area?
- How is the job market?
- Is the climate something more than what you are accustomed to?
- Are there cultural issues that you must be aware of?
- What type of opportunities are in the new area that you can take part of?
Questions about the Move Itself
There are several questions about the move itself that you need to ask yourself. These questions include:
- Can you afford to move during what may be the peak season of moving?
- Do you have plans before the move that you cannot change?
- If you have a family you must look at how this move could affect their school year?
- What about a new job, is there a specific time that you must start? This date could dictate your moving date.
- Have you saved enough money to relocate to a new area? Remember to consider all the costs of moving including packing materials and hiring professional’s movers.
Most importantly, have you found a new home that you can move into? Having somewhere to move into is a must for those who are planning a move soon! And if you are planning a move to our area, be sure to contact us. We can help with the move in a way that is going to make the move much easier on you!
For those who are new to using professional movers, there are a few things that you need to know. First of all, you are going to love the experience that you get with professional movers. It is going to result in less stress and the entire move will run a bit smoother. However, this does not mean that you simply sit back and let them do their jobs, there are a few things that you need to do in preparation for them entering into your home to help you move.
- Always be sure that they have a clean path throughout the home. We want our movers to remain safe while they are in the home without the fear of tripping over boxes or items that have been left in the floor.
- Ask questions if you have them! The movers are more than happy to answer any concerns or questions that you may have.
- Be sure that you have cleared the moving truck for parking, especially if you live in an apartment complex that may have rules for where people can park.
- Let neighbors know that you are moving so that they know there may be a bit of noise on moving day.
- Be sure that you remove those things that the movers cannot handle. Whether this means that you put these into a separate box that states do not move or the like.
Movers are going to be professional when they enter into your home. They are going to get the job done and then go onto the next home that they are helping to move. The more prepared you are for the movers, you are going to find that the faster the move goes!
Moving is not something that many people look forward to. And there are situations in which moving becomes a hassle. For those who are in a profession in which frequent moves are needed, you will easily find that after the first handful of moves, you are almost to the point of throwing yourself on the floor like a toddler. However, for those who are considered frequent movers, there are a few things that you can do to make these moves a bit easier. Since you know that you are going to be moving again in a year maybe even only a few months, there are ways that you can avoid feeling as though you must pack everything, including the kitchen sink, again!
Tip 1: Only Keep Necessities!
Those who are frequent movers are often the best at downgrading and only keeping what they truly need and use. Too many times, a big part of the hassle of moving is packing up everything that you have collected over the years. For those who frequently move, do not get into this habit!
Tip 2: Invest into Storage Containers
Many of those whom we have moved are those who are moving pros. Instead of going with cardboard boxes, they have plastic storage bins that are neatly labeled and ready to go. This is a great tip for those who frequently move. This way, you can put these up while they are not needed, and always have these on hand. It often eliminates having to run around to find boxes when you are packing for a move.
Tip 3: Use Professional Movers!
While you may be a pro at moving and packing on your own since you have done this so much. Always remember that professionals are trained to handle the oversized furniture and items that may be harder for you. While you can do this yourself, can you guarantee that you won’t have a mishap? At least if professional movers have an issue, you are not liable for the damage.
And remember that if you are moving in the Raleigh or Greensboro areas, we are here to help!
Summer is the most common time to make a move. However, not only are you battling with packing, ensuring that everything is packed up and ready to go, but you are also fighting with the heat of summer. Summer temperatures throughout the South can get rather warm. The humidity during these days is something that can not only make it unbearably hot but can easily deplete your energy levels to the point that you feel as though you cannot go on. This is why hydration and ensuring that you do not become overheated are two main objectives when moving during the summer.
With this being said, how can you ensure that you are remaining hydrated and not becoming overheated? We have a few tips to help:
- Be sure to take a ten-minute break every hour to drink water.
- Make sure that the majority of what you drink is water, as this is the most hydrating drink out there.
- Sports drinks are okay to drink, but try to stick to water.
- Utilize a wet cloth on your head if you become overly hot. This can help to cool down your core temperature.
- Take breaks in cooler, indoor areas to avoid overheating.
- Know the signs of heat stroke! If you start to have any of these signs, immediately stop what you are doing and seek medical help.
- Try to move and pack during the early morning hours and late-night hours to avoid the heat that skyrockets during the daylight hours.
Remember, if you do become overheated, do not force yourself to do more. You are going to find that if you were to do that, you could do major damage to your body. If you decide to let the professionals at Excel Moving handle your move, you can rest assure that our pros do know about the heat and take all precautions to ensure they are safe and that you are also moved on time!
Raleigh, North Caroline is a metropolitan area that has more than doubled its population in the past 40 years. Many people are moving into this area. For those who are interested into moving into this area, remember that Excel Moving is here for your moving needs. We also want to ensure that you settle into this area with ease!
History of Raleigh
A little background on Raleigh:
- This was named after Sir Walter Raleigh
- Also known as the City of Oaks
- It is the capital of the Tar Heel State
You will find that there are tons of businesses and employment opportunities in this area. There are tons of companies who call this area home chances are you have seen Raleigh included on several nationwide lists of best places to move after college or for certain careers.
Raleigh has some top ranked schools for parents to consider, and for college aged students there are several colleges to choose from! Including NC State University, William Peace University, Wake Technical Community College, and much more.
A Few Moving Tips to Remember
If you are ready to move into Raleigh, we have a few tips that can make this easier!
- Be sure to move during the spring or fall. The weather will be more comfortable. Summer heat here can be hard, but we can still move at any time of the year that you want, despite the weather.
- Downtown can get congested. If moving here, be sure that you do this during times of the day in which the traffic is not that bad.
- You have 60 days to change your driver’s license to an NC state license when moving from out of state.
- If you are moving from out of state, you only have 30 days to change your vehicle registration and title!
- Moving from out of state, check for toll roads.
You are going to love Raleigh! It is full of life and excitement. The key is to take your time and find a home that is going to fit your every need.