In a perfect world, when we move, we would arrive at our new home and our belongings would be waiting on us. However, that is not always the case. Many times, when move long distances, there is a delay in getting your belongings to you. Many times these delays are due to numerous customers going in this direction, hence moving companies put their items on the truck as well as a way to save gas. And the savings in gas is passed back to you. So what are you supposed to do while waiting for your items to arrive at your new home?
We have a few ideas that many people have suggested to us when we delivered their belongings, as well as our personal experiences of dealing with this type of situation. Remember, this period of time does not have to be one in which you are stressed and unhappy. While you may not have any of your belongings, you should have your personal bag that includes all the essentials. You can pass the time by:
- Get to know your new area. There is nothing to unpack yet, so instead of sitting in your new home staring at the wall, get to know your new area. Walk the neighborhood, talk to people who are out, find the best parks, best places to eat and the like.
- Making any changes to your new home? Now is the best time to slap up a fresh coating of pain if you want, since nothing is in the home, you can rest assure that paint is not going to get onto your belongings.
- Considering new furniture, look around. For those who are moving into their new home with the idea of getting new furniture, then go ahead and get these pieces while you wait for the rest of you belongs to arrive at your new home.
- For those with kids who are waiting on their belongings, make every night a campout night in the living room. Kids will love it, and since there is no television yet, you can tell stories, talk about the move and the changes to come, and simply reconnect after this long journey.
- Take this time to enjoy the peace and quiet, and the idea that there is nothing pressing for you to do. Taking this time to relax is one of the best pieces of advice and many people find it is just what they need.
If you are in the process of having your goods delivered to you after your move, don’t let this stress you out. Instead, put this waiting time to good use!