Moving for work is not something that is considered strange. Many people find that when they get that big promotion that they have wanted, not only are they getting a pay raise, but they may have to move as well! If you are in this situation, then you should know that you could be getting this move paid for you! Many companies offer movers assistance for those employees who they are asking to move for a new position. And if the company doesn’t offer this, always remember that you can deduct work related moving expenses on your taxes. However, to do this, your move must meet a few criteria:
- The new location for work must be more than 50 miles away from your current home. If you were move to a new neighborhood that is only 25 miles away from your old home, moving expenses cannot be deducted! However, if you were to move 52 miles away from your old home, you could deduct these expenses.
- To deduct any type of moving expense, you must work full time for at least 39 weeks during the year you arrive at a new location for a job. Otherwise, you cannot try to deduct any type of moving expenses. This does not apply to those who are members of the armed forces, involuntary separation or in the case of a death.
With these criterions being known, we have a few tips that can make this move for your professional success even better.
- Be sure that you call us at Excel Moving as soon as you know that you will be moving. Keep in mind that the Summer time is a popular time to move, along with Spring and Fall, as students head back to school and the like.
- Consider decluttering many times, especially if you are going to be moving a long distance away. As the price you pay on the move does depend on how much weight you have in goods to be moved.
- If moving cross country, you will probably need vehicle transportation as well for your move, unless you plan to drive yourself to your new home.
- Work with a great real estate agent whom you can trust. In many cases, those who are in this situation is not waiting around to sell their home before they move, thus you need someone whom you can trust to show this and sell your home.
- Prepare your family for this move by pointing out the great points about a new neighborhood or even new state. Be sure they realize that this can be an adventure if they let it!
Moving for work is never easy. However, it is a necessity in a changing work environment. The good news is that we are here to help!