For parents, one of the most difficult tasks while moving is what to do with the kids. You want to keep them entertained while you are packing and you want to keep them safe while you are moving the items out of your home. So, what do you do? We have a few tips that can help you!
Before Packing Tips
Now that you are ready to move, before you pack, you need to get your kids ready for this. Here are a few tips to follow:
- Let the kids know asap that you are going to be moving. This can help them to prepare themselves mentally.
- Start packing up your kids clothing, toys and the like in advance of moving. Kids may hold onto these items. But, if you start earlier then you will find that you can get rid of these non-essential items that your kids do not need.
During the Move Tips
While you are moving, you are going to be busy. You will want to keep your kids as busy as possible! Here are a few tips that can help:
- Ask them if they want to help! If they are old enough let them help with that last-minute packing crisis, write labels on boxes or the like.
- Give younger kids something that is going to keep them entertained. Have coloring book and new crayons out there for your kids to color with. Or even let them have some left-over bubble wrap, kids love popping this!
The key with anymore is to ensure that the kids are safe and taken care of. While they may not be looking forward to the move, as long as they are safe, you are going to find that the move will be a success. And remember, if you need to use professionals call us here at Excel Moving & Storage!
For those who are moving with kids, they are facing even more challenges than those who are moving who do not have children. Let’s face it…kids get bored with moving. They may not only get bored, but they may also act out, especially if they are not excited about the move. The good news is that you can prepare your little one for a move, and even make this move be fun with these tips!
Get Them Excited about the Move
Probably one of the hardest obstacles to get around is a child who does not want to move. However, there are a few things that you can do that may make the move a bit easier, and make moving day go much more smoothly:
- Allow your kids to throw a going away party with their close friends if they are moving a great distance away.
- Let kids prepare for their new rooms by choosing new paint colors or even bedding to go into this room, as it makes them feel more a part of the process.
- Explain to the kids why you are moving, be sure to point out the benefits of this move!
- Let the kids be involved in the house hunting process so they are more comfortable with the move.
Always Stay Positive when Moving with Kids
It can be frustrating to pack everything into boxes, label these boxes and the like. However, do not let your frustration get the best of you! Your kids are going to pick up on this and it can lead them to act out. Instead, stay positive. Make the moving experience one that is full of hope for the future and the excitement of going on a new adventure.
Make a Game out of Packing and Unpacking Boxes
Let the kids help in packing and unpacking boxes if at all possible. You can make this into a game in which the kids have to pack up their belongings for a magical journey to a new and better home. Even better, many parents have found that if they hide a little treasure at the bottom of boxes, unpacking time goes a lot faster.
Make New Rituals
Once you are moved into your new home, make new rituals that are going to make the house feel like a home. For example, have a campout in the floor the first night complete with the kid’s favorite movie. Or find the closest park or new restaurant that the family can go to together. The idea is to start making great memories as soon as possible so the move is one that is accepted!
Moving with kids can be hectic. However, with our moving services, you can make sure that the move is not one that is drawn out for days and weeks.