Moving is not something that many people look forward to. And there are situations in which moving becomes a hassle. For those who are in a profession in which frequent moves are needed, you will easily find that after the first handful of moves, you are almost to the point of throwing yourself on the floor like a toddler. However, for those who are considered frequent movers, there are a few things that you can do to make these moves a bit easier. Since you know that you are going to be moving again in a year maybe even only a few months, there are ways that you can avoid feeling as though you must pack everything, including the kitchen sink, again!
Tip 1: Only Keep Necessities!
Those who are frequent movers are often the best at downgrading and only keeping what they truly need and use. Too many times, a big part of the hassle of moving is packing up everything that you have collected over the years. For those who frequently move, do not get into this habit!
Tip 2: Invest into Storage Containers
Many of those whom we have moved are those who are moving pros. Instead of going with cardboard boxes, they have plastic storage bins that are neatly labeled and ready to go. This is a great tip for those who frequently move. This way, you can put these up while they are not needed, and always have these on hand. It often eliminates having to run around to find boxes when you are packing for a move.
Tip 3: Use Professional Movers!
While you may be a pro at moving and packing on your own since you have done this so much. Always remember that professionals are trained to handle the oversized furniture and items that may be harder for you. While you can do this yourself, can you guarantee that you won’t have a mishap? At least if professional movers have an issue, you are not liable for the damage.
And remember that if you are moving in the Raleigh or Greensboro areas, we are here to help!
We have discussed just how hard it is to pack suddenly and move. However, for many people this is reality. They may have gotten news that requires a quick move, they belong into our armed forces and are getting re-stationed, or maybe that dream job is available but you must be out of state in the next three days to get it. We understand, sometimes a move cannot be planned months in advanced, despite the best of intentions. With this being said, here are 7 tips that are going to help you to be successful in packing your home in a hurry!
- Make three piles: Keep, Throw Away and Donate. Be sure that you are making these piles in each room and quickly go through items. If you are unsure, keep it. Since you are moving so fast, you don’t have time to think about it. But, when unpacking, you can then decide whether to keep it or not.
- Get some help! We cannot stress this enough, when you need to get your home packed up soon, as many people as you can find to help you is going to be what you need to do.
- Start early with your packing. If you must be out in a few days, expect to have some early mornings and late nights trying to get your entire home packed up and ready to move.
- Stay hydrated! Even if it is not hot outside, packing is a chore and it is burning a lot more calories than you realize. Be sure that you stay hydrated so that you are on the top of your game and packing boxes as quickly as possible.
- Wear the right shoes. This is an invaluable tip. For those who wear sandals, they are going to be walking these boxes around the home slower, and are going to be more likely to fall causing an injury. Instead, wear boots or tennis shoes to protect your feet, and have the mobility that you need to get this done quickly!
Remember, whether you know a year in advance of your move, or even just a few days, Excel Moving is here for you!
While we often recommend that you take a week or more to pack your belongings before a move, there are times in which a person may have to do this in one day, then having the moving company pick up belongings the next day. This can be a bit stressful. But, there are a few things you can do to make this easier, less stressful and a successful venture!
Have High Fuel Snacks on Hand
While it may be tempting to order a few pizzas, and eat this greasy goodness…don’t! These are foods that are going to make you want to curl up in a ball and take a long nap when you really need to packing your belongings. Instead, opt for foods that are healthy and going to give you the right type of energy.
Don’t Forget Breaks
While it may be tempting to continue to pack constantly, you need to have breaks. Why is this? If you do not take breaks, chances are you will find that you get sick and tired of packing your belongings and will start to basically throw things into a box. Instead, take ten or fifteen minute breaks every hour to ensure that you are not losing steam or patience.
Packing by yourself can be daunting, especially if you have a large home. Instead, enlist some helpers to help you out. You can ask people to come altogether, or take people in shifts so that you do not have a house full of people at once. Either way, it can be a great way to have some help and get this done faster.
One of the main ways in which you can ensure that you complete your packing within one day is to be prepared. Have plenty of packing materials so that you can rest easy knowing that you do not have to run out of your house for anything.
Be sure that you have scheduled your move with Excel Moving to get professional service, and a great experience in getting to your new home!
Looking to move soon? One of the common questions that we get asked daily is what can you take with you and what we can move for you. What most people don’t realize is that there are those things that we cannot move for you. There are numerous reasons why, but it all boils down to safety. There are many things that we will not move for the safety of our workers. In addition, there are laws related to what we can and cannot move for our clients.
For those who are interested, here are a few things that we cannot move for you:
- Anything that is considered hazardous such as acids, ammonia, lamp oil, kerosene, weed killer, poisons, paints, motor oil, matches, fireworks, charcoal, fertilizer and the like.
- Perishable items are not allowed in moving trucks. Why is this? Rotten food not only stinks up the truck hauling items, but it can also attract rodents which could damage property we are moving.
- Personal or items that are sentimental are usually frowned upon by movers. We do this simply because we do not want to be held responsible for these items going missing since you cannot put a real price on these. For example, we recommend you keep medical records, car titles, school records and the like with you. These are items that are hard to replace, which is why they should be left with you.
The things that we move and will not move are for the safety of everyone involved. We understand that it can be frustrating knowing that some items we are not going to touch or move. However, even if you were moving on your own, these are items that you would not want to move either, as it poses the same safety issues to you as it does our professionals. Remember, we are here to help with your move, and we look forward to doing this. But in the end, we want everyone, including our workers to be safe!
There is no doubt about it, we are professionals when it comes to moving people. However, we also have expertise in packing and getting you prepared for your move. With we often hear about those who are packing their belongings, who end up going out to buy things time and time again, as they have forgotten that they need these. It can make the packing process even longer. That is why we have compiled a list of what you need to get before packing and moving, so you are prepared for whatever may come your way!
- A first aid kit: Cardboard cuts can hurt, and they often happen, especially if you are packing and taping up boxes in a hurry!
- Extra tape: Let’s face it, one roll of tape is not going to tape all your boxes. Keep in mind that you may need to tape the bottom and top to keep it reinforced during the move.
- Extra markers: Yes, you may have purchased a multi-pack with three markers in it, but get another one. You can almost guarantee that you will lose a few and run these markers out.
- Packing materials: Be sure to grab extra bubble wrap, towels, newspaper or the like, whatever you are using to warp materials in. You do not want to get to the point that you are simply putting things into a box and hoping for the best.
- Always have extra boxes. You never know when you have underestimated, and this can save you a great amount of time in searching for more boxes later.
One of the biggest things we see people overlook is the extent of the job itself of packing and getting ready for a move. So many people think that they can pack up their belongings within one day. While professionals can do this, most people are going to find that it is super hard to do this in just one day. So, don’t wait too long to start your moving journey!
While you may be opting to use a professional mover for the actual moving aspects of your home, chances are when it comes to packing, organizing and sorting your belongings, there are several friends and family members who are helping to make this happen. For those who do have these friends who are helping, it is important that you show your appreciation. After all, packing and organizing your belongings in your home for a move is hard work, and it can be a long job depending on the size of your home. So don’t let your friends feel as though they are not appreciated. We have come up with a few ideas to help repay those who have helped with all the steps before moving into a new home!
- While packing, be sure that you are supplying drinks, snacks and food for all those who are helping. After all, they are taking the time out of their busy schedules to do this, the least you can do is to ensure that they are not paying for these items out of their own pockets.
- Make sure that you are taking a few breaks while packing, as this is going to help to not only keep everyone from getting overly exhausted, but can be a great way to boost morale among your friends. Use this time to talk about all the good times that you have had, and the excitement about this new move.
- After you have moved, thanks your friends with a party at your new home. Do not let them bring items to eat or the like, simply throw this as a housewarming party and a thank you party for your friends. With this being said, you may want to consider a small gift of your appreciation for each person who helped.
For those who are using Excel Moving, they will find that the moving process will go smoothly. And if you plan in advance to have your things packed and ready to go, the entire process can take even less time than what you had thought!
When you are packing your things for a move, chances are you are focused on the actual items in your home that need to be moved. You are not alone in thinking like this. After all, we are concerned about getting our furniture moved, our knick-knacks packed and insulated, those everyday items in your home, and getting the pets and kids settled into a new home. Due to the number of things that you may be focused on, there is a huge chance you are forgetting some very important items to do before you move. And for those who are moving a long distance, it could mean a trip back to your previous home if you were to forget these items.
- Does your current bank have a branch in the area that you are moving to? If not, then you need to take the time to go to the bank and explain that you will be switching institutions and get this process started so you do not find yourself stranded in your new location with no access to your money!
- Move your medical prescriptions to a new local pharmacy. You may have to sign release forms for these prescriptions to be transferred to a new pharmacy, which you need to do now.
- Do you go to a gym? If the gym does not have a local location in your new area, then cancel this membership now. You are more than likely not going to drive to your old location in order to go to the gym.
- If you have children, be sure that you pick up copies of their school records so that you can be ready for their new year in a new school at a new home.
Too many times when people move, they are so absorbed in the moving process, it is these little things that they forget. And when they forget these, it can slow down the unpacking phase, and getting accustomed to your new location. Don’t forget to let Excel Moving help with your move to make this even easier on you!
When moving, it is a hectic time. There are tons of things that you are trying to do, such as find a new place, say goodbye to those who you may be leaving behind, pack your belongings, organize the shipping of your items and the like. There is no wonder that many people feel overwhelmed when moving time does come around. One of the biggest complaints that people have when they move is that they did not get the time that they had hoped to say goodbye to loved ones and friends in the area. The good news is that there is a unique way to combine moving and a goodbye party all in one: packing parties.
What is a Packing Party?
Basically, a packing party is a way to have your cake and eat it too. How many people who have moved in the past feel as though they have to choose between spending time with friends who they may be leaving behind and getting prepared for their move? A packing party is the answer to this. This is a party that you throw in honor of moving. Everyone will come to your home and help you pack up your belongings. It is a huge help, as it makes the packing process go much faster, and it can be tons of fun since you are spending time with friends, remembering the good times and planning your future.
Tips for a Perfect Packing Party
For those who are going to throw a packing party, here are some tips to ensure that this is going to be a huge help to your moving adventure and is also going to be tons of fun for you!
- Order in food to ensure that you do not have to cook and these utensils can be packed.
- Use paper plates and cups, along with plastic silverware so that you can pack these items up as well.
- Ensure that you have tons of boxes, tape, markers, and other packing materials since you are going to have everyone working on this at the same time.
- Make a day of this and at night, you can all go out if you so choose to celebrate one more night together.
- Have this packing party close to your moving day, a couple of days beforehand is often recommended.
- Have some music playing in the background, as work that is tedious and often boring goes better when there is music involved.
- Avoid inviting too many people as this can make the packing take even longer than normal.
Moving does not have to be a solitary event. Having a packing party with your friends, and then once packed, call us here at Excel Moving to get your items to their new location safe and sound.
We have spent a lot of time discussing what to pack and how to pack this. But, there are a few things that you are going to want to ensure that you are not packing. It seems simple enough to throw everything into a box and sort through it later. However, when you are having a moving company deal with your belongings, there are a few papers that you are not going to want to pack. To do so, could mean that your move turns into an even more stressful event that causes a headache and delays. In addition, there are a few personal items that you should not pack, and instead keep this on you at all times.
Your Moving Papers
The moving papers that you get from a company like Excel is going to detail the contract between you and the moving company. This contract is your lifeline when it comes to the company moving you. The information that is detailed in the contract includes the boxes being moved, the prices, the destination time frame of receiving your items and the like. You will also receive paperwork that tells you what to do if something goes wrong, such as if something were to get broken, which is not likely when using Excel for your moving needs.
Always Keep your Medications
Always keep your medications on you. There have been cases in which moving deliveries happen a few days after the initial pack up and loading into the truck. Thus, you do not want to be a few days without those medications that may be helping your life. Too many times, people throw their medications into a box with their bathroom items and then realize when it is too late that they packed up something very important.
Many people would argue that you should keep family pictures and momentous with you instead of letting a company move these. However, here at Excel we treat your belongings just as we would our own. Thus, family pictures, art work, and those with priceless items can be moved safely by our company with no worries.