When you do decide to move, your own safety should be a top concern that you have. However, the reality is that most of us are in a hurry to get things packed, to get to your new home and are dealing with all the information that is needed to switch schools for kids, turn on utilities and the like. For this reason, your own safety is not usually what you have in mind.
There are several safety worries that a person should be worried about when it comes time to move. These concerns include:
- Injuries from packing too many items into one box
- Injuries from falling due to carrying a large and unruly object
- Breaking items, a big worry for those who have items that are family heirlooms
There are tons of other situations that we could highlight in which the safety of the person moving was in question. However, it is sufficient to say, safety rules are often ignored when you are moving as your mind is elsewhere.
Tips for Your Safety
Here are a few tips to help ensure that you are safe while in the process of moving:
- Be sure to pack your boxes right. Limit these boxes to 50 pounds apiece, as this is the maximum weight. You can go even lighter to ensure that you do not overdo your back!
- Stretch just like you are going to work out if you are going to be moving these boxes on your own. This can help to avoid some muscle strains.
- Be sure you are lifting heavy items as you should. Life with your legs, not your back!
- Always have an emergency kit on standby, you never know when you are going to need a band-aid or some over the counter pain killers.
- Be sure to limit the number of kids and pets around. Kids and pets can get hurt or they can cause you to become injured if they get in your way!
The best way to stay safe while moving is to hire professional movers. The movers with Excel Moving are trained on how to lift heavy and light objects to ensure they are safe. Through hiring professionals, you will find that your body will thank you later!